2023 Worker's Pride Conference
June 24, 2023, Fairlane Center North, Dearborn, MI
The Workers’ Pride Conference invites all union and non-union workers and activists from allied organizations to share ideas and grow skills for responding to the challenges facing working people. Instructors, facilitators, and coordinators are drawn from the LGBTQ community. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
For general use: Download Brochure in pdf
For social media posting: Download brochure front in jpg, back in jpg
Online Registration Form is at the bottom of this page
1. Legal Rights: Learn about new and older laws that impact workers in Michigan, especially those that affect LGBTQ+ workers and other minority groups. Workshop participants will understand the difference between state and federal laws and appropriate enforcement mechanisms to counter harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
2. Organizing Around LGBTQ+ Issues: In this workshop, union and community organizers will review effective strategies to build collective power and ensure all workers’ voices are heard, particularly those in the LGBTQ+ community. Participants will learn how to form and run an effective LGBTQ+ Caucus in their workplace, union, or community organization.
3. What to Do If Threatened for Supporting LGBTQ+ Awareness: Educators, librarians, and many other workers are caught in the crosshairs of politically charged rhetoric to ban books or end “woke-ism.” This workshop will review ways to navigate this current reality. Learn what your employer should do and what a union can do to address these injustices.
4. The State of Employment for LGBTQ+ Workers Today: While many employers publicly support Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives, is it making any difference to those on the ground floor? Are DEI committees truly inclusive? Are LGBTQ+ employees being supported and valued? This workshop explores the current climate and what can be done to increase sensitivity, acceptance, and success at work.
5. Health and Family Issues: How well does your union contract or your employer’s policies address the needs of LGBTQ+ workers and their families? In this workshop participants will review model language for health and family leave benefits that are truly inclusive of all employees. Participants will explore ways to elevate awareness and advocate for improved benefits.
Come to the Picnic!
After this conference join together with AFT Michigan’s Queer Caucus for an afternoon of family-friendly and pet-friendly fun, relaxation, and solidarity. The picnic will take place at a nearby park in Dearborn. Click here for more info and to RSVP.
COST: is $100.00. Please register and pay by June 16, 2023. If we receive the full $100 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait in line to check in. The cost includes complimentary refreshments, lunch, and an invitation to the AFT Michigan Pride Picnic. If using UAW or USW Tuition Assistance, apply for $100.00 tuition.
TIMES AND DATES: Check-in is 8:00 am to 9:00 am on Saturday, June 24. Programming begins at 9:00 am runs until 4:00 pm. The Pride Picnic will be held nearby immediately following the Conference.
PLACE: The University of Michigan-Dearborn, Fairlane Center North, 19000 Hubbard Dr., Dearborn, Michigan 48126.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: The last date to withdraw at no cost is Friday, June 16th. To be valid, cancellations must be emailed to CLCS.email@example.com Registrants who do not cancel by the deadline or fail to attend owe full payment of $100.00.
STUDENT DISCOUNTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE: Download the application here. Under File choose Download to download a word doc which you can print out or edit.