Fall Leadership Institute
November 3-5, 2022. Fairlane Center North, Dearborn, MI
The Fall Leadership Institute offers workshops for everyone – from seasoned leaders and those aspiring for leadership. We welcome participants from all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
For general use: Download Brochure in pdf
For social media posting: Download brochure front in jpg, back in jpg
Conference Agenda: Download here.
Online Registration Form is at the bottom of this page
1. Advanced Social and Print Media- Hone your Social Media skills by learning modern methods to inform members, combining traditional printed materials with social media. Take more impactful photos to tell your story. Learn how to create Facebook content and how to reach the masses with your powerful message. Feel free to bring your camera and your laptop.
2. NLRB-National Labor Relations Board Deep Dive: Get to know the NLRB, a neutral federal agency that protects the rights of employees to join together, with or without a union, to improve their working conditions. Meet local NLRB representatives and learn about employee rights under the Act.
3. Advanced Grievance Handling-This comprehensive workshop provides participants with a foundation of grievance and arbitration procedures; employee rights via legal, contractual, judicial, and political interventions; grievance machinery, procedural matters, administration, application, and common pitfalls; information requests; how to write, properly present and settle grievances; an introduction to arbitration; the union’s duty of fair representation; and Weingarten rights. You must take Grievance Handling before you take the advanced.
4. Effective Standing Committees- In this workshop you will learn the importance of standing committees, their purpose, and roles they play. Standing Committees are the foundation and strength of the union.
5. Advanced Steward and Committeeperson Training- This workshop will go into depth of keeping good notes and documents. It will also teach you how to skillfully research contracts, letters, federal, state, OSHA and other labor laws to write detailed and proper grievances. You must have taken Steward and Committeeperson training to take this advanced workshop.
6. Parliamentary Procedure-Roberts Rules of Order are the foundation of running a meeting and handling the business of any meeting. This workshop will teach you the basics of parliamentary procedure and how it can help you change the way your meetings are run.
7. Collective Bargaining- Explore the negotiation process: How to be a negotiator, build your bargaining package, and understanding the process.
8. Master Thinking Strategically-You ever wonder how some people and organizations are so successful? They plan and strategize effectively. Veteran labor leaders will teach you skills and approaches for developing a plan customized to move your organization forward.
REGISTRATION: cost is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee)
Register online using form below, email photo/scan of downloadable form to CLCS.firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 313-588-6430. Note, postal mail can take up to two weeks to reach us. You do not need your payment or voucher first to register. Please register by October 27, 2022. If we also receive the full $600 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait at check in. The mandatory meal payment includes 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and a snack. Please note that we are only charging you for less than half of the actual meal costs. Evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance Programs (TAPs) cover tuition costs, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $540 tuition; you or your workplace pay the $60 meal payment beforehand or at registration.
TIPS ON USING TUITION ASSISTANCE: You can find our tips for applying for and using TAP here.
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is Thursday,November 3rd, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. Welcome Session is 7:00pm to 9:00pm. A second check in is 7:30am to 9:00am Friday. Workshops run 8:00am to 5:00pm Friday & Saturday, with graduation on Saturday.
EVENT LOCATION: UM-D’s Fairlane Center North, at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, MI 48126.
HOTEL ROOMS : Rooms are available at the DoubleTree by Hilton Detroit-Dearborn at 5801 Southfield Freeway, Detroit, for $129 per night plus tax. You can book at this special rate by clicking Hotel Event Website or call 313-336-3340 before September 2nd, 2022 to reserve a room. Mention the University of Michigan Fall Leadership Institute.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: The last date to cancel at no cost is Friday, October 27th. If you cancel after then, but before the day of the conference you will be charged for the meal fee. Registrants who do not cancel and fail to show owe full payment of $600. The university sends unpaid bills out for collection. To cancel call CLCS at 313-583-6400 or email CLCS.email@example.com.
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTIAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE: Download the application here. Under File choose Download to download a word doc which you can print out or edit.