2023 Black Men in Unions Institute
February 2-5, 2023. Somerset Inn, Troy, MI
The Black Men in Unions Institute invites all workers, union or non-union, and activists from allied organizations to share ideas and grow skills for responding to the challenges facing working people. We welcome participants from all cultural or ethnic backgrounds and gender identities.
For general use: Download PDF here
For social media posting: Download JPG -- Front and Back
Draft Agenda here
Online Registration Form is at the bottom of this page
1. Youth in Unions -- Our youth are our future! This is an opportunity for our children to learn about the labor movement, why you are involved, and why they should be too.
2. [Now full] Communications for the Masses -- Learn how to get your message out with clarity and impact. This workshop will show you how to use social media, print, video, etc. to share information with a wide variety of people and organizations. You will gain knowledge on techniques such as how to take compelling pictures, conduct engaging interviews, and more.
3. [Now full] Knowing Your Rights and Protections at Work -- You will gain an understanding of important employment rights and protections covered under state and federal law including your rights under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
4. Retirement and Investment Strategies -- Have you ever thought about investing and how it will help you prepare for retirement? Take this workshop and learn some tried and true best practices and strategies to Invest wisely for retirement. You are never too young to start planning for retirement!
5. Grievance Handling -- How do you know if your grievance is really a grievance? Come learn what qualifies as a grievance, how the process works, and the roles & responsibilities of a union grievance handler.
6. African American Men in Labor History -- Know your history or you are doomed to repeat it! You will gain knowledge of the struggles black men endured and fought against to make their mark in the labor movement. They paved the way for not only black men but all people of color to have a place in the labor movement.
7. Diversity and Civil Rights -- Why is diversity necessary in the labor movement? What are civil rights and why are they needed? How do they work together to make us in the labor movement stronger? Join in this opportunity to get the answers to these and other questions on the need for diversity and civil rights in the workplace.
8. Contract Language/Contract Bargaining -- Does the thought of interpreting contract language and understanding the collective bargaining process sound confusing? Check out this workshop and gain clarity to better understand the language in your contract as well as the process used to get the language and protections in your contracts.
9. Getting and Staying Elected -- Are you thinking about running for office? Then this workshop is for you! You will acquire campaign techniques, do’s and don’ts of campaigning including the need to live up to your campaign promises and much more.
10. Workers Rights & Worker Actions Cancelled-- Activism is on the rise! Learn how and where it happens, and how to participate.
REGISTRATION: cost is $640 ($560 tuition, $80 mandatory meal fee)
Register online at clcs.umd.umich.edu, email photo/scan of this form to CLCS.email@example.com or fax 313-588-6430. Note, postal mail can take up to two weeks to reach us. You do not need your payment or voucher first to register. Please register by January 26, 2023. If we also receive the full $640 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait at check in. The mandatory meal payment includes 3 breakfasts and 2 lunches; evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance Programs (TAPs) cover tuition costs, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $560 tuition; you or your union pay the $80 meal payment beforehand or at registration.
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is Thursday, February 2nd from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. Welcome Session is 7:00pm to 9:00pm. A second check in is 7:30 am to 9:00am Friday February 3rd. Workshops run 8:00am to 5:00pm Friday & Saturday, with graduation on Sunday morning.
EVENT LOCATION: The Somerset Inn, 2601 W Big Beaver Rd., Troy, MI 48084.
HOTEL ROOMS : Call (800) 228-8769 or (248) 643-7800 to reserve a room at the Somerset Inn at $119 per night (Queen bed) or $144 per night (King bed) plus taxes. Rooms are held at this rate until Thursday January 26, 2023. Mention BMIU for these rates. Note hotel cancellation deadlines. You will be charged if you fail to cancel by the hotel’s deadline.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: The last date to cancel, at no cost, is Thursday, January 26th. If you cancel after then, but before the day of the conference you will be charged for the meal fee. Registrants who do not cancel and fail to show owe full payment of $640. The university sends unpaid bills out for collection. To cancel call CLCS at 313-583-6400 or email CLCS.firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTIAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE: Please contact our office to inquire about scholarship availability.
CLCS Phone: 313-583-6400, FAX 313-583-6430 E-mail: CLCS.email@example.com, Website: clcs.umd.umich.edu