2022 Young Worker Conference
New Leaders in a Different World
June 23-25, 2022. Somerset Inn, Troy, MI
To see lots of postings from the conference go to the Facebook Page by clicking here
The Young Worker Conference invites all workers, union or non-union, and activists from allied organizations to share ideas and grow skills for responding to the challenges facing working persons. Conference is led by workers 35 years or younger, but is open to all ages. You need only be young in spirit! We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
For general use: Download Brochure in pdf
For social media posting: Download brochure front in jpg, back in jpg
For posting on walls, bulletin boards, etc: Download pdf. Download jpg.
Online Registration Form is at the bottom of this page
1. YOUR LIVELIHOOD, YOUR POWER, YOUR VOTE. Did you know that your right to bargain in your workplace depends on your vote? Did you know that the words that you use are under attack? This workshop will educate you on the power of your vote.
2. PRINT MEDIA. Learn how to use the tools of social & print media to build membership unity.
3. GRIEVANCE HANDLING. Unions bring due process to the workplace through the grievance system. Learn how to decide if a grievance has merit, and how to respond. Bring your union contract!
4. UNIONISM 101/UNION HISTORY. This course informs and educates participants on the history of unions and how to get involved and to successfully build unity in your union.
5. STEWARD COMMITTEEPERSON TRAINING. A workshop designed for front-line representatives and activists. Basic skills, such as writing grievances, holding hearings, and winning justice for our members. We will have two sections of this popular workshop.
6. FINANCIAL PLANNING (401K). We all dream of quitting the grind and enjoying retirement. Here are the steps for achieving a comfortable retirement.
7. WORKER TO WORKER/STANDING COMMITTEES. In this workshop you will learn the importance of standing committees and the technique of worker to worker to obtain your goals and recruit others to join.
8. LEADERSHIP-WHAT IS A LEADER? AM I A LEADER? This workshop provides mentorship to emergent leaders. How does one take lead roles in a union or community? Attend and become a rising star.
9. ORGANIZING (EXTERNAL/INTERNAL). Unions gain strength when we are many. To have many we must organize and bring others with us. This workshop will educate you on how to organize and strategies that can be used.
10. MULTI CULTURAL AWARENESS AND INCLUSION. Cancelled Solidarity means transcending our differences, and finding strength in our diverse backgrounds. Class members will be given the tool to open up to our diverse workplaces and communities and learn how to build solidarity from our diversity.
REGISTRATION: cost is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee) Register online at clcs.umd.umich.edu, email photo/scan of this form to CLCS.firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 313-588-6430. Note, postal mail can take up to two weeks to reach us. You do not need your payment or voucher first to register. Please register and pay by June 9, 2022. If we receive the full $600 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait at check in. The mandatory meal payment includes 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches; evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance Programs (TAPs) cover tuition costs, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $540 tuition; you or your workplace pay the $60 meal payment before hand or at registration. You can make checks payable to "University of Michigan-Dearborn CLCS"
REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION: At the end of every week we send out confirmation emails for registrations received earlier that week. If you registered online or by fax please contact us if you have not received an email confirmation after more than a week. For regular mail check with us if more than two weeks has gone by. You can email CLCS.Info@umich.edu.
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is Thursday, June 23, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. Welcome Session is 7:00pm to 9:00pm. A second check in is 7:30am to 9:00am Friday. Workshops run 8:00am to 5:00pm Friday & Saturday, with graduation on Saturday.
EVENT LOCATION: The Somerset Inn, 2601 W Big Beaver Rd., Troy, MI 48084.
HOTEL ROOMS : Call (800) 228-8769 or (248) 643-7800 to reserve a room at the Somerset Inn at $114 per night (Queen bed) or $144 per night (King bed) plus taxes. Rooms are held at this rate until June 9. Mention Young Worker Conference for these rates. Note hotel cancellation deadlines. You will be charged if you fail to cancel by the hotel’s deadline.
CANCELLATION/REFUND : The last date to cancel the event at no cost is Thursday, June 9. To cancel contact Tracey Dye CLCS.email@example.com or call 313-583-6400, Registrants who do not cancel and fail to attend owe full payment of $600.00 ($540 tuition + $60 meals). If you cancel after the deadline, but before the conference begins you will only be charged $60 for the meal fee. Please note, you must cancel with us, not just with your tuition assistance program if you are using one.
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTIAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE: Download the application here. Under File choose Download to download a word doc which you can print out or edit.