Latina/o Worker Leadership Institute
New Friday Evening, Saturday, Sunday Format
September 16-18, 2022. Fairlane Center North, Dearborn, MI
The Latina/o Workers Leadership Institute invites all workers, union or non-union, and activists from allied organizations to share ideas and grow skills for responding to the challenges facing working persons. We welcome participants from all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
For general use: Download Brochure in pdf
For social media posting: Download brochure front in jpg, back in jpg
For posting on walls, bulletin boards, etc: Download pdf.
Conference Agenda. Click here.
Online Registration Form is at the bottom of this page
1. Trade and Global Solidarity-Global - Commerce divides working persons when people from different nations compete for jobs. The response must be global solidarity. Learn how this can happen.
2. Basic Unions 101 - What are unions? Where do they come from? How do they work? The basic foundations for new and active members.
3. History of Latino Labor Movement - History is the key to change. This is an opportunity to learn the history so that we don’t continue to make the same mistakes and learn about those that paved the way.
4. Personal Wealth - Are you saving for Retirement and creating generational wealth? Is it enough? Come and plan for your financial future.
5. Contract Preparation - Where do you start when preparing to negotiate a contract? What are the steps to prepare? What is the process? What can you negotiate? Come and find out!
6. Steward and Committeeperson Training - A workshop designed for front-line representatives and activists. Basic skills, such as writing grievances, holding hearings, and winning justice for our members.
7. How to Run a Local Union Campaign - Thinking of running for office? This is the class for you. Come and learn how to organize a campaign.
REGISTRATION: cost is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee)
Register online using form below, email photo/scan of downloadable form to CLCS.firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 313-588-6430. Note, postal mail can take up to two weeks to reach us. You do not need your payment or voucher first to register. Please register by September 9, 2022. If we also receive the full $600 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait at check in. The mandatory meal payment includes 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and a snack. Please note that we are only charging you for less than half of the actual meal costs. Evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance Programs (TAPs) cover tuition costs, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $540 tuition; you or your workplace pay the $60 meal payment beforehand or at registration.
TIPS ON USING TUITION ASSISTANCE: You can find our tips for applying for and using TAP here.
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is Friday, September 16, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. Welcome Session is 7:00pm to 9:00pm. A second check in is 7:30am to 9:00am Saturday. Workshops run 8:00am to 5:00pm Saturday & Sunday, with graduation on Sunday.
EVENT LOCATION: UM-D’s Fairlane Center North, at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, MI 48126.
HOTEL ROOMS : Rooms are available at the DoubleTree by Hilton Detroit-Dearborn at 5801 Southfield Freeway, Detroit, for $129 per night plus tax. You can book at this special rate by clicking Hotel Event Website or call 313-336-3340 before September 2nd, 2022 to reserve a room. Mention the University of Michigan Latina/o Workers Leadership Institute.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: The last date to cancel at no cost is Friday, September 9th. If you cancel after then, but before the day of the conference you will be charged for the meal fee. Registrants who do not cancel and fail to show owe full payment of $600. The university sends unpaid bills out for collection. To cancel call CLCS at 313-583-6400 or email CLCS.email@example.com.
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTIAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE: Download the application here. Under File choose Download to download a word doc which you can print out or edit.