2019 Latino(a) Worker Leadership Institute
2019 Latino/a Worker Leadership Institute
October 3-5, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126
The Latina/o Workers Leadership Institute invites all workers, union or non-union, and activists from allied organizations to share ideas and grow skills for responding to the challenges facing working persons. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
Brochure is available here
Conference Agenda is available here
1. LATINOS IN LABOR HISTORY: History is alive at LWLI. Absorb the lessons from the sacrifices of past heroes and celebrate the trailblazers of today.
2. TRADE AND INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY: Global commerce divides working persons when people from different nations compete for jobs. The response must be global solidarity. Learn how this can happen.
3. THE FACTS OF IMMIGRATION: How can we support our non-native brothers and sisters? Information from personal and professional experts, this one should interest everyone, immigrant or native-born.
4. STEWARD AND COMMITTEE PERSONS TRAINING: A workshop designed for front-line representatives and activists. Basic skills, such as writing grievances, holding hearings, and winning justice for our members.
5. BASIC UNIONS 101: What are unions? Where do they come from? How do they work? The basic foundations for active members.
6. DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: We are a strong nation because we are diverse. Learn how that truism can be used to build bonds with our brothers and sisters at work.
7. FINANCIAL PLANNING: How much money are you going to need to retire? When can you afford to retire? What will it take to meet those goals? Come and learn how to plan for your financial future.
Registration form is available here. Mail completed form with payment to the Center using the directions on the form. You can also use the online registration form here.
COST is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee). Please register and pay by September 19, 2019. Meal payment covers breakfast andlunch for Friday and Saturday; evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance (TAP) programs cover the tuition portion, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $540 tuition. You or your workplace must include the $60 meal payment with your registration.
TIMES AND DATES: Check-in is Thursday, October 3, from 4:30 to 6:30pm at Fairlane Center South in the Michigan Room. A welcome program starts at 7:00pm and runs until 9:00pm. There is a 2nd check-in period from 8:00 to 9:00am Friday, October 4. Workshops begin on Friday morning and run until 5:00pm, and resume again on Saturday morning, October 5 and run until 5:00pm.
PLACE: The conference will be held at the UM-D’s Fairlane Center, North Building, at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, MI 48126. Parking is free in the North Lot at the far end of the Fairlane Buildings (you pass South on your way up the drive, North is 2nd bldg.).
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS: For lodging, you have two options. The Westin Southfield at $112 per night plus tax (248) 827-4000 or the Courtyard Marriott at $106 per night plus tax (313) 271-1400.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: The last date to withdraw at no cost is Thursday, September 26. To be valid, cancellations must be called in to CLCS (313-583-6400). Registrants who do not cancel by the deadline or fail to attend owe full payment of $600.00.