2018 Young Worker https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/center-for-labor-and-community-studies/Conference
2018 Young Worker Conference
May 17-19, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126
The 2018 Young Worker Conference is open to all workers, union or non-union, and leaders from a variety of organizations to learn together about new ideas, strategies and skills to meet the needs and challenges facing workers in our ever-changing workplaces. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
Download the brochure here
Download agenda here
1. WIKI-UNIONS: Are you interested in the origins, operations and history of unions? This workshop will direct you to resources that provide answers to your questions. Great for new members!
2. GRIEVANCES & GRIPES: Every workplace has conflict between workers and their bosses, and between workers. This workshop will explore how to solve even the toughest problems, formally or informally.
3. UNION ADMINISTRATION: This class will focus on the rules and regulations governing a union, including federal laws, fiduciary responsibilities, elections and committee work.
4. LAWS, RULES & ETHICS: Unions have a myriad of laws and rules that regulate their operations and collective bargaining, as well as a code of ethics. Learn how to stay out of trouble with the I.R.S., the D.O.L., and earn R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
5. L.G.B.T.Q. @ WORK: We are diverse, but we are unified. This workshop will canvass issues of importance to our LGBTQ members. It is past time to have an open and honest discussion of the rights of these historically under-served members of our community.
6. PRINT & ELECTRONIC MEDIA: Stay in touch with members and allies with attractive flyers and posters, as well as the various social and electronic media. Build the movement with a smart media strategy.
7. LOCAL UNIONS & LOCAL POLITICS: Get active in local politics! Learn how to canvass your community, work with existing organizations, and have a positive impact at the ballot box. This workshop is for political junkies.
Download the file for the registration form here. Mail completed form with payment to the Center using the directions on the form. You can also use the online registration form here.
COST is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee). Please register and pay by May 3rd, 2018. If we receive the full $600 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait in line to check in. Meal payment covers breakfast and lunch; mandatory; evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance (TAP) programs cover tuition portion, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $540 tuition; you or your workplace must include the $60 meal payment with your registration. CONFIRMATIONS ARE SENT BY EMAIL!
TIMES AND DATES Primary check-in is Thursday, May 17th from 4:30 to 6:30pm at the Fairlane Club. Opening Session is from 7pm to 9pm that evening. Friday morning, May 18th is a 2nd check-in period at the Fairlane Club. Both Friday and Saturday general sessions begin at 8am at the Fairlane Club, followed by workshops in Fairlane Center North. The conference adjourns on Saturday at 5pm.
PLACE Check-in, meals, and general sessions will take place in the Fairlane Club (next door to the U of M Dearborn Fairlane Center). Workshops will be held in U of M Dearborn, Fairlane Center North. Park in north lot near the Fairlane Center North entrance.
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS Rooms may be reserved at the union-represented WESTIN SOUTHFIELD Hotel, 1500 Town Center Drive, Southfield (888-627-8558). Rooms are $109.00 per night + tax. Be sure to mention this conference for the special rate.
CANCELLATION/REFUND The last date to withdraw at no cost is Wednesday May 10th. To be valid, cancellations must be called in to CLCS (313-583-6400). Registrants who do not cancel by the deadline or fail to attend owe full payment of $600.00.
Limited number of partial scholarships available - Download the application Here or call us.