2018 Fall Leadership Institute
2018 Fall Leadership Institute
November 29- December 1, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126
The Fall Leadership Institute is open to all workers, union or non-union members, and leaders from a variety of organizations to learn together about new ideas, strategies and skills to meet the needs and challenges facing workers in our ever-changing workplaces. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
Download the registration form here
Download agenda here
1. BASIC UNIONS 101: What are unions? Where do they come from? How do they work? The basic foundations for active members.
2. BASIC GRIEVANCE HANDLING: For new stewards: The basics of representing members and winning justice.
3. ADVANCED GRIEVANCE HANDLING & ARBITRATION: What happens when a grievance is passed on to the international, region or district level?
4. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING-PRIVATE SECTOR: Negotiating under NLRA rules, including how to prepare proposals, costing, and table manners.
5. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING-PUBLIC SECTOR: Bargaining strategy and tactics for government and other workers not covered by the NLRA.
6. PUBLIC SPEAKING: Build confidence and poise in this workshop, which is focused on enhancing your ability to address a crowd or a roomful of workers.
7. STANDING COMMITTEES: Important work takes place in the standing committees of our unions. Women’s, Civil and Human Rights, Veterans’, etc., there is a role for you.
8. LOCAL UNION COMMUNICATIONS: An advanced class on print and electronic communications, includingnewsletters, brochures, posters, and leaflets, as well as social and electronic media.
Download the file for the registration form here. Mail completed form with payment to the Center using the directions on the form. You can also use the online registration form here. CONFIRMATIONS ARE SENT BY EMAIL! BE SURE WE HAVE A CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS LISTED FOR YOU!
COST is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee). Please register and pay by November 14, 2018. If we receive the full $600 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait in line to check in. Mandatory meal payment includes breakfasts and lunches; evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance Programs (TAPs) cover the tuition portion, but not meals. If using TAP, apply for $540 tuition; you or your workplace must include the $60 meal payment with your registration.
TIMES AND DATES: First check-in is Thursday, November 29, from 5:00 to 6:30pm. The Opening Session starts at 7:00pm and runs until 9:00pm. There is also check-in from 8:00 to 9:00am Friday, November 30. Workshops run 8:00am to 5:00pm Friday & Saturday.
PLACE: The Institute is held at the UM’s Fairlane Center, North Building, at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, Michigan 48126.
HOTEL: You may reserve a room at either the Edward Hotel (313-592-3622) or the Westin Hotel Southfield (844-300-2566) at our special rate of $109 per night. If you need to cancel and do not do so by the hotel’s deadline, you will be charged one night’s stay.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: The last date to cancel at no cost is Monday, November 19. To be valid, cancellations must be called in to CLCS at 313-583-6400. Registrants who do not cancel by the deadline or No-Show owe full payment of $600.00.
Limited number of partial scholarships available; Download the application here or call us.
Scan/EMAIL: LaborStudiesReg@umich.edu CLCS Phone: 313-583-6400 CLCS WEB: clcs.umd.umich.edu FAX: 313-583-6430