2018 Black Men in Unions
2018 Black Men in Unions
New Venue! The Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti Marriott at Eagle Crest
1275 S. Huron, Ypsilanti, MI 48197
This 31st Black Men in Unions Institute is open to all workers, union or non-union members, and leaders from a variety of organizations to learn together about new ideas,strategies and skills to meet the needs and challenges facing workers in our ever-changing workplaces. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnicbackgrounds.
Download The Brochure & Registration Form Here
1. YOUTH & UNIONS Two sections, according to age group. Workshop is Saturday only; cost is $50.00 per student.
2. BASIC UNION SKILLS How unions work! What we need to know to be effective union members.
3. ADVANCED LEADERSHIP ACADEMY Climb the steps of the leadership ladder to be successful in your organization. Not for first timers, you should have attended two previous Labor Studies workshops.
4. FMLA Understand and utilize the Family Medical Leave Act in your workplace.
5. MALE-FEMALE RELATIONSHIPS How the roots of our African ancestry can help our understanding of who we are as brothers and sisters joined in the struggle to overcome the double legacy of racism and sexism in America.
6. AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN LABOR HISTORY Celebrate the work of our past heroes and trailblazers of today.
7. PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE Point of Order? Privileged Motion? Come learn the basics of parliamentary procedure.
8. FUNDING YOUR RETIREMENT We all want to quit working and enjoy life, someday. Here’s how that works.
9. CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS Explore our changing roles as we work towards a world free of racism, sexism, classism, and ageism.
10. EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONS Learn to use print and social media to help build membership unity.
11. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING Explore the negotiation process: How to be a negotiator, build your bargaining package, and create win-win situations.
12. BASIC GRIEVANCE HANDLING Win justice and equity on the form and merits of a good grievance.
13. CIVIC ENGAGEMENT Working families need to be involved in shaping our government. Come and learn, share how to get involved.
Download the file for the registration form here. Mail completed form with payment to the Center using the directions on the form. You can also use the online registration form here.
REGISTRATION COST is $620.00. Registration and payment should reach us by January 26,2018. Tuition Assistance programs cover tuition portion, but not meals. If using Tuition Assistance, apply for $560 tuition; you or your workplace must include the $60 meal payment with your registration. Meal payment is mandatory for all registrants. Evening meals are on your own.
CONFIRMATIONS ARE NOW SENT BY EMAIL; be sure we have yours, that it is legible, and is one that you often check.
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is Thursday, February 8, from 4:30 to 7:00pm at the Marriott Ann Arbor – Ypsilanti, MI, a unionized hotel. The program starts promptly at 7pm Thursday. There is a 2nd check-in period from 7:30-9am Friday. If you can’t check in before Friday, come early! The conference ends at approximately noon on Sunday, February 11.
PLACE: Announcing our return to a former venue! Black Men in Unions 2018 will be held at the Marriott Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest Hotel & Conference Center, 1275 S. Huron St., Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
Hotel Reservations at the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest Hotel are now open. The special conference rate is $105 per night. Please note that per hotel policy, guests must be prepared either to leave a credit card number for incidentals, or a $50 cash deposit per night, which would be returned upon checkout if not needed. To make reservations online, click below. The last day to book is January 8, 2018.
Book your group rate for University of MI Dearborn Black Men in Unions Conference
To make reservations by calling the hotel directly at 734.487.2000, please use the Group Code “BMUBMUA.”
CANCELLATION/REFUND Last date to withdraw for refund is Thursday, February 1, 2018. To be valid, registrants must call CLCS (313-583-6400) and speak to Center staff. Registrants who fail to attend or do not cancel by the deadline owe full payment.
Limited number of partial scholarships available - Download the application Here or call us.