2017 Latino/a Workers Leadership Institute
NEW: Download the agenda here
1. UNIONISM 101: BASIC UNION SKILLS: How unions work! What we need to know to be effective union members and leaders.
2. FINANCIAL PLANNING: How much money are you going to need to retire? When can you afford to retire? What will it take to meet those goals? Come and get answers to questions about your financial future.
3. COMMUNITY ACTION: How to organize your neighborhood and community to be, “indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
4. BASIC GRIEVANCE HANDLING: Whether new to grievance handling, or in need of a tune-up, this class will help you learn its rules, how to conduct investigations and hearings, and how to write a first-stage grievance.
5. LATINOS IN LABOR HISTORY: History is a living thing here at LWLI. Celebrate the work of our past heroes and the trailblazers of today.
6. PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE: Learn how to participate in or conduct an organized meeting.
PLACE: The Institute is held at the UM’s Fairlane Center, North Building, at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, 48126.
Registration confirmations are now emailed; please print clearly. Forms may be sent by fax, US mail, or email (see below).
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is 8:00 to 9:00am Friday morning, Sept. 22, at UM-D Fairlane North. Opening Session starts promptly at 9:00am Friday. The conference ends at 4:30pm Friday and Saturday. Evening meals are on your own.
REGISTRATION: Cost is $560.00. Registration and payment should reach us by Sept. 8, 2017. Ford, Chrysler, GM & USW Tuition Programs are active and cover most of the cost. If using Tuition Assistance, apply for $500 tuition; you or your workplace must include the $60 meal payment with your registration (meal payment is mandatory for all registrants). You can download the registration form here and mail or fax it to us. Our new online registration system is here.
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS: We have reserved a limited number of rooms at the Edward Hotel, 600 Town Center Drive, Dearborn, Michigan. To make your reservation, call 313.592.3622 and mention the Latino Workers Leadership Institute to ensure the group rate of $99 per night, single or double occupancy. Cut-off date for hotel room reservations is Friday, Sept. 1. After that, the special rate may not apply.
CANCELLATION/REFUND: Last date to withdraw for refund is Friday, Sept. 15. Please note: to be valid, registrants must call CLCS (313-583-6400) and get a cancellation code from Center staff. Also, no-shows or late cancellations must pay full price; you will be charged unless you call us by 9/15/2017 and get a cancellation code.
Limited number of partial scholarships available - Download the application Here or call us.
2017 Latino/a Workers Leadership InstituteSeptember 22-23, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126Download the brochure here