2017 Black Men in Unions
2017 Black Men in Unions
FEBRUARY 23-26, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126
This 30th Black Men in Unions Institute is open to all workers, union or non-union members, and leaders from a variety of organizations to learn together about new ideas,strategies and skills to meet the needs and challenges facing workers in our ever-changing workplaces. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnicbackgrounds.
Download The Brochure & Registration Form Here
Download Tentative Agenda Here -- Note Thursday night takes place in the Fairlane South Building
1. YOUTH & UNIONS Two sections, according to age group. Workshop is Saturday only; cost is $50.00 per student.
2. BASIC UNION SKILLS How unions work! What we need to know to be effective union members.
3. ADVANCED LEADERSHIP ACADEMY Climb the steps of the leadership ladder to be successful in your organization. Not for first timers, you should have attended two previous conferences.
4. FMLA Understand and utilize the Family Medical Leave Act in your workplace.
5. MALE-FEMALE RELATIONSHIPS How the roots of our African ancestry can help our understanding of who we are as brothers and sisters joined in the struggle to overcome the double legacy of racism and sexism in America.
6. AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN LABOR HISTORY Celebrate the work of our past heroes and trailblazers of today.
7. PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE Point of Order? Privileged Motion? Come learn the basics of parliamentary procedure.
8. FUNDING YOUR RETIREMENT We all want to quit working and enjoy life, someday. Here’s how that works.
9. CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS Explore our changing roles as we work towards a world free of racism, sexism, classism, and ageism.
10. EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONS Learn to use print and social media to help build membership unity.
11. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING Explore the negotiation process: How to be a negotiator, build your bargaining package, and create win-win situations.
12. BASIC GRIEVANCE HANDLING Win justice and equity on the form and merits of a good grievance.
13. GETTING AND STAYING ELECTED How local elections work, and how to participate in them.
Download the file for the registration form here. Mail completed form with payment to the Center using the directions on the form. You can also use the online registration form in the menu bar on the left.
REGISTRATION COST is $620.00. Registration and payment should reach us by February 9, 2017. Tuition Assistance programs cover tuition portion, but not meals. If using Tuition Assistance, apply for $560 tuition; you or your workplace must include the $60 meal payment with your registration. Meal payment is mandatory for all registrants. Evening meals are on your own.
CONFIRMATIONS ARE NOW SENT BY EMAIL.
TIME AND DATES: Check-in is Thursday, February 23, from 4:30 to 7:00pm at the University of Michigan-Dearborn Fairlane Center North. The program starts promptly at 7pm Thursday. The conference ends at approximately noon on Sunday, February 26.
PLACE: The Institute is held at the UM’s Fairlane Center, North Building, at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, MI 48126.
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS NEW THIS YEAR: Rooms may be reserved at either the Westin Hotel Southfield (call 844-300-2566) or the Edward Hotel (313-592-3622). Rooms are $99.00 per night + tax at either hotel. Be sure to mention BMIU to get the group rate.
The Westin has created a personalized web site for reserving a room for BMIU. You can book, modify, or cancel a reservation from January 19, 2017 to February 20, 2017. Click here: BMIU Westin.
CANCELLATION/REFUND Last date to withdraw for refund is Thursday, February 16. Please note: to be valid, registrants must call CLCS (313-583-6400) and speak to Center staff. Registrants who fail to attend or do not cancel by the deadline owe full payment.
Limited number of partial scholarships available - Download the application Here or call us.