2019 Young Worker Conference
2019 Young Worker Conference
June 13-15, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126
The Young Worker Conference invites all workers, union or non-union, and activists from allied organizations to share ideas and grow skills for responding to the challenges facing working persons. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
Brochure is available here
1. REVERSING RUNAWAY INEQUALITY: Why does the 1% own so much and the bottom 50% so little? Inequality is greater now than at any time since the late 1920s. Come learn about the changes needed to reverse this trend.
2. WORKERS’ RIGHTS & WORKERS’ ACTIONS: Activism is on the rise! Teachers, prison inmates, Silicon Valley programmers, and even schoolchildren. Come learn the rights of working persons and how to participate.
3. BASIC GRIEVANCE HANDLING: Investigating a grievance is the first step toward winning justice for members. Come learn the merits of a good grievance and how to defend members through the grievance system.
4. UNIONS 101: A union is a mini democracy, and as a member, you have rights and responsibilities. This workshop is designed for persons new to the union movement that want to become involved.
5. BUILDING BANK: How much money are you going to need to retire? When can you retire? What will it take to meet those goals? Come plan your financial future.
6. FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT: Passed in 1993, the FMLA protects workers with newborns or those who must care for another family member. Map the landscape of workplace rights with a focus on understanding and utilizing the Family Medical Leave Act.
Registration form is available here. Mail completed form with payment to the Center using the directions on the form. You can also use the online registration form here.
COST is $600 ($540 tuition, $60 mandatory meal fee). Please register and pay by May 30, 2019. If we receive the full $600 payment by that date, you are eligible for the Express Lane—a shorter wait in line to check in. Mandatory meal payment covers 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches; evening meals are on your own. Tuition Assistance (TAP) programs cover tuition, but not meals.
TIMES AND DATES First check-in is Thursday, June 13, from 4:30 to 6:30 pm. The opening program runs from 7:00 until 9:00 pm at the Fairlane Club. There is a 2nd check-in period from 7:30-9:00 am Friday, June 14. Friday and Saturday programming begins at
8 am and runs until 5:00 pm.
PLACE The conference will be held at the UM-D’s Fairlane Center at 19000 Hubbard Road, Dearborn, MI 48126. Parking is free in the North Lot at the far end of the Fairlane Buildings.
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS Rooms are available at the Westin Southfield (248) 827-4000 at $109.00 per night plus tax, or at the Courtyard by Marriott (313) 271-1400 at $115.00 per night plus tax. Be sure to mention the conference for the special rate.
CANCELLATION/REFUND The last date to withdraw at no cost is Friday, June 7. To be valid, cancellations must be emailed to LaborStudiesReg@umich.edu. Registrants who do not cancel by the deadline or fail to attend owe full payment of $600.00.
Limited number of partial scholarships available deadline is May 31- Download the application Here or call us.
CLCS Phone: 313-583-6400 EMAIL: LaborStudiesReg@umich.edu FAX: 313-583-6430